Wednesday

Sandals like mine

A strange thing happened to me the other day. Janet, a fantastic, fun, sane, totally NORMAL Aussie friend I made in Turkey, spoke these words: "You know Helga, I really need to get myself some sandals like yours." Ha! I could not believe my ears! I looked down at my dusty feet, wrapped in my dusty brown sandals and cautioned her. I said, "You realise my friend, that when you take this step you will then officially, unequivocally be a backschmacker. Realise, before you make the leap, you may even be mistaken for a German backschmacker, the worst kind." Now I come from a place where for years my friends have subtly and not-so-subtly disparaged my choices in footwear. There came one day when some friends- who I wont name- all got together, sat me down and began a conversation that ended with an honest threat of throwing one pair of my particularly loved, worn sandals in the bin.

Janet, I thank you for appreciating my sandals. I at last feel validated. But I must warn you again to consider the move from your own current and stylish footwear to sandals like mine. They will be more comfortable, true, but unless you have disappointing feet that are so used to comfortable shoes after 26 years wearing nothing else, it may not be worth it. I looked enviously at your shoes all through Turkey and only wished I could get away with the black, studded, dainty little leather thongs you were sporting. Plus they matched your new handbag! I understand you have just started on your travels, but like a traveller's tattoo, you may regret taking up this trend.

On another note, my comfy sandals did serve me well recently. I have had alot of feet woes while travelling, the clincher being a broken metatarsel in Amsterdam that required a hospital visit in Turkey, walking for 4 weeks with a crutch (useful for pointing at things but not so sexy in a bar), and still today walking with limp, popping anti-inflammatories like they are going out of fashion, and wrapping my foot up each morning in a dirty, tattered bandage. I broke this metatarsel not from falling or being run over, but from walking. That's right, walking with a backpack. Apparently girl's feet can get these stress fractures from doing nothing more than what humans have been doing for millenia. Who knew? So Janet, in retrospect, I wish you sandals like mine. Just please dont get feet like mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read somewhere that the world's current population is 6,602,224,175 (approx). Please do not mistake one person out of this 6,602,224,175 appreciating your German sandal fetish, as "validation" of the choice. Fashion is pain, my friend!
PS - bummer about the foot, my little accident prone buddy. Speaking of which my left knee is still shonky, but at least my rash and saw jaw are no more!