Tuesday

Getting out of Sydney

Sometimes the best thing about living in Sydney, is getting out of Sydney.

After weeks of slow, deep breathing while sitting in traffic, pretending to be really busy texting so someone wont try and sell me something on the street, and needing to write every single thing down in my "To Do" list but never actually having the time to read it, I have had enough. I need to get out!!

While plans to visit my friend in Canberra were unexpectedly delayed, I have felt a restlessness for the bush that leads me to take the scenic route in everycase, walking knee-high in lawn clippings and leaves (and I will purposefully do this whenever I walk to work) just so I can smell something natural. Does this make sense to anyone else? Dont get me wrong, I love Sydney, but sometimes I need to inhale something other than bus exhaust, foul smelling brickwork (walls are NOT toilets, people) and greasy take-out.

To answer my prayers, I will be spending the weekend at a friend's house in Narrabeen (specifically, Pelican Point- how cute and "country" is that?) It's not exactly "getting out of Sydney," but a change nonetheless. The last time I went up there it did actually feel like a mini-holiday. So maybe it's what we make of Sydney that counts- just find a little respite amongst all the chaos- you might only have to go a few kilometres north of Manly...

If all else fails, I will be the one hugging the tree ;-p

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not Pelican Point!

Stormboy and Mr. Percival