Wednesday

Misplaced professional help




A man is walking along the street when he is brutally beaten and robbed. He lies unconscious, bleeding. While he is lying there, a police officer passes by, but crosses to the other side of the road without trying to help. A Boy Scout troop does the same, as do a number of pedestrians. Finally, a psychologist walks by and runs up to the man. He bends down and says, "My God! Whoever did this needs help!"

Ok, this joke isnt that funny. I liked it, but think I may have inherited some German humour, a dominant gene for which I cannot be blamed. I read somewhere... "There is nothing more serious than a German joke."(Oscar Wilde). I very seriously agree. Ha. Ha.

Classic quotes this year have been in abundance, and thanks to Lyndel for documenting them, we were able to publish some in "Discount Therapy." I can recount a few:

KT: "My friend was recently talking to Jesus and..."

(Lecture 1: ADVANCED Adult Neuropsychological Disorders. Pointing to a picture of the brain, Dr C (our lecturer) "This is a brain." (audible sigh of relief from students fearing the term advanced)

HH: "I look good in any hat, I really do!" BH: "So it's just the top of your head that's letting you down then"

MS: "No, let's get personal!"

HD: (After refusing all week to play table tennis while on holidays with HH) finally says: "Look, I just think there are enough things Im good at, why would I waste time doing things Im not good at?"

LM: (While teaching a slow breathing technique, LM has her hands on her chest thinking, "Geez, this kinda looks like Im feeling my breasts") says: "Dont just breathe with you breasts, I mean chest"

LA: "I am so drunk! I love you, and you, and you..., you most of all"

DT: "I want to kill myself but I just dont have time"

HD: (after a day at an eating disorders unit) "I've had a crap day. I just spent the last 3 hours cognitively challenging the belief that body butter can cause weight gain"

AL: (AL was running a social skills training group for kids with Asperger's, and thinking she was getting somewhere too) 12 year old boy says: "Miss, are you a transvestite?"

TR: (in bottle shop looking at wines) "Who wants some mer-Lot? Or white? Should we get some semi- LLon?" (and later) "I feel like a paster-ray, can we get one? Let's go to Michel's Paster-ray"

BH: "I dont care what CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) can do! There's one thing it dont do. It dont cure ugly"

1 comment:

Erica Tay said...

hahaha.... i like ur blog. been telling my friends about your "alcohol helps memory" theory, which gained cred once i said it came from a psychologist.
go girrrl!:D

Erica