Thursday

And they thought Galileo was crazy

It's true, the universe does not revolve around Earth. Click here.

I thought this was a lovely example of grasping an abstract idea, understanding something on an intellectual level, but still not "getting it." I tried- I looked up at the stars, I imagined I was a grain of sand, I thought about being up in space looking down on an ever-shrinking planet, I said to myself, "We are a cosmic accident," I thought about the Big Bang and all those algae-like life forms, and how the earth has been around for a fraction of the time the universe has, and also how in an eyeblink of that time we have managed to completely and thoroughly stuff it up, then I got too pessimistic and distracted myself. But I tried, and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't understand. Not really.

There are a couple of things in life I find similarly difficult to understand, no matter how hard I try... Hunting, anorexia and Tom Cruise are up there.

(Thanks to Aaron for the link!)

1 comment:

Aaron Duty said...

When you stop trying to understand, then you might actually find yourself understanding. In other words, we're all screwed.